NN Header

Saturday 7 December 2013

Voluntary Work Experience

The First Time
Since young, I have always heard of people doing voluntary work as a gesture of giving back to society. I have always wondered why people did it, and out of curiosity, wished I could do it, too. I mean, I enjoy being helpful, so it might be fun?

The first time I had my hands-on experience with voluntary work was back in middle school, together with my tuition group. We were given lucky draw tickets, or "charity tickets", as they were called, to sell. The ticket cost either $2.00 or $5.00 each, and came with serial numbers that were eligible for lucky draws. I was given a few booklets to sell; and sadly, most of them were bought by myself. I was afraid that my tutor would scold me for not having done a good job, and I thought I would be lucky enough to win some of the prizes.

It did not feel charitable at all, to be honest. I did not feel any sense of achievement or happiness because I did not know who the funds went to, and I did not win any prize, of course.


The Second Time
Then in high school, we had to do more voluntary work - including raising funds with metal cans on the streets (we would give donors a round sticker each, to show that they made a donation) and collection of newspapers from selected areas for recycling purpose.

Tiring as these were, I thought it was rather enriching as I knew I had helped someone in need, or at least helped the environment to a certain extent with the later project. As students, we were not financially-inclined, so being able to contribute through efforts and time, it was a meaningful affair.


More Voluntary Projects During Vacation
A good friend and I, *Jermaine, instead of looking for vacation jobs during high schools or hanging out at malls as we used to do, began looking for voluntary work to keep ourselves occupied. We called up Red Cross, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, children's homes etc.

Sometimes we got short assignments aiding children in homes and National Kidney Foundation. There was nothing much we could do, being young and inexperienced. We helped with data entry, packing of gift hampers, reading to the children etc. We had thought it was fun then, and time well-spent. It was also a learning experience as we realized how fortunate we were, to be blessed with home and health.


Cause to Volunteer
Even when I entered the working society, the companies were constantly sourcing for ways to give back to society.

The most common and easiest to do, would be to buy supplies like rice, canned food, salt and sugar and donate to the old folks' corners or Handicapped Welfare Association. I did, but that was just giving. It is the same as making monetary donations, which did not give me a sense of satisfaction.

I participated in visits to old folks' home, where we performed song-and-dance, and chatted with the lonely old folks. It was enriching as many of them had stories to share and for us to learn from; some of their stories were rather moving or sad.

I also helped out in arts and crafts sessions at a couple of handicapped associations before. Some of these people lost their mobility; others had lower IQ or down syndrome. Nonetheless, the efforts and diligence they put in for the art they were learning, are what we should learn from. They may not be as agile or smart as us, but their perseverance is admirable; plus they seem happier. They live each day fruitfully, are friendly to each other, and do not let their disabilities hinder them from attaining their end goals.

Are we courageous or strong enough to do that?

Conclusion
I would still like to take on more voluntary roles, if time allows. There is nothing like learning humility and courage from people who have less than us, who face more difficult days than us, and despite their sufferings they exhibit stronger spirits and traits.

Some people believe that doing good deeds is a means of repentance for their own sins or wrongdoings; there are also those I know who do it simply because they hope to have better lives or to kill time. I hope in time, they learn that the true value of helping the needy or less fortunate does not lie in benefiting oneself or any form of neutralizing one's own misfortunes.

The true essence of volunteering should come from the heart and the only benefit one should hope for, is the knowledge that we have helped someone. That, should be the reason why we help.


No comments:

Post a Comment