NN Header

Thursday 21 November 2013

My Experience with Beauty Parlours

Before the First Trial
Prior to my first visit to any beauty parlors / salons / consultants, I often heard my mother's friends and even some of my older cousins talking about going for their "facials".

It used to amaze me that people actually needed someone else to help them wash their faces, like, what was so special about going to a parlor to have our faces washed?

It wasn't until I started having pimple breakouts on my face then I started to even contemplate that I may need someone to do a "facial" for me too. 

I had applied different anti-pimple creams, seen about three good skin doctors (dermatologists), and even taken anti-pimples pills, but nothing worked. My skin was dry, red and just angry with a tiny pimple plantation.

My First Visit
I came across a "Free Consultation" advertisement in a female magazine or magazine, and upon conducting some brief research on the beauty parlor in question, read some rather good reviews. Plus, they were rather big, and had several outlets. That somewhat assured me, and I lifted the phone to fix an appointment for myself.


I went for the first appointment on time, and was attended to by one of the ladies in white coats. They looked very smart and professional; more like doctors than what I had imagined beauticians to look like. But then again, they gave themselves fanciful titles such as "Beauty Consultants" and "Beauty Therapists".

The lady attending to me was *Fynn. She showed me to a room and asked me what problems I was facing. Then she ran an electronic scanner stick over my face. Then we both sat down and examined the computer screen, where a detailed diagram showed the analysis of different parts of my face and probably the problems too. She explained the causation to me briefly.

After that, she listed the possible solutions they could implement to tackle my acne-prone skin. She suggested that I try out one session to test the difference, and we could take it from there. The price for that one session was reasonable, so I agreed.

*Fynn arranged for a therapist to show me to one of the rooms. I was immediately taken in by the quietness in this area, the soft aromatic scents filling the air, and the soothing Wellness music playing in the background. 

I lay down on the bed and the therapist began to work on my face, patiently explaining the process and what benefits each step brought. I enjoyed her gentle touch and professionalism, so we chatted on throughout the 60-minute session.

I Became A Customer
After my very first facial, I had to admit that my skin felt very soothed and hydrated. Perhaps it was my imagination, but I thought I detected visible difference in my skin condition even then.

They sat me back in one of the consultation rooms and served me hot flower teas.


Then *Fynn came in again and asked me how the experience went. I admitted that I liked it.


She slowly began to launch her selling tactics upon me, suggesting that I take up a package with them. She suggested the program she had customized for my situation, and that in a matter of months I should be able to see very good results.


I was reluctant to commit at first, having heard stories before that these consultants were good at hard-selling. However, as she droned on, I felt myself feeling pressurized, and actually wondered if this could be the cure I was looking for.


In the end, I agreed to a $600 package that consisted of cleansing, soothing, hydrating and anti-bacterial treatments. After all, I have tried out various means in vain, so why not give this a shot?


Subsequent Visits

I continued my therapy on a weekly basis, and was always welcomed with friendly smiles, warm greeting and satisfactory service. 

However, during my third session, the therapist began to suggest trying additional items such as some smoothing "serum" that would boost youth, or a seaweed mask that would detoxify. I told her I would give it a miss, as I already had a package that would last me 10 sessions in all.


She would gently persuade on, highlighting the different effects these additional treatments would have on my skin.


I agreed, and allowed her to try the seaweed mask, which caused a whopping $180 for one session.


After the treatment for that day, *Fynn asked how I liked it, commented that the seaweed detox treatment indeed worked wonders for me, and suggested I add it into my package so I could have variations each visit. Furthermore, they were having a promotion, so there was a massive discount.


I thought about it, and eventually signed up another 10 sessions of seaweed treatment for $1200.


Further Visits

The next session, they would promote some Centella gel or collagen masks. 

Then some Golden Spoon treatment to retain youth and smoothen the skin.


Their suggestions just went on and on amongst the friendly chatter we would have during my treatment sessions. Both the therapists and *Fynn herself would take turns to make recommendations.


I had signed up another package that consisted of Oxygen Treatment and Golden Spoon treatment for another $5,000, nearly maxing out a new credit card!


My skin did improve and was deeply hydrated, not so prone to itch or sensitiveness anymore. However, the huge pimples persisted on.


Final Straw

It was one-and-a-half years into my membership with them.

The parlor recently had a collaboration with a supposedly-renowned dermatologist who had set up a small office next to my outlet. 


*Fynn suggested that I sign up another package that would incorporate dermatological treatment so it would speed up the healing process.


Defeated and curious, I agreed, and forked out another $3800 for this further customized set of treatments that included visits, medications and treatment by this dermatologist as well.


He prescribed some Isotretinoin tablets which my then-boyfriend had suggested I take (it would have cost a lot cheaper if I just gotten it from some other dermatological clinics!) and instantly the grease and zits on my face cleared up!


I was so maddened, and felt cheated by my beauty therapists.


From then onward, I was very firm in rejecting their recommendations to take up any more treatments at all. Instead I concentrated on attending the weekly sessions just to finish up the packages I had stupid signed up and paid for. 


This was my experience with the beauty parlors. I highly doubt I would visit any again, since I know how to take care of my skin now, and it is in a good condition.


No comments:

Post a Comment