NN Header

Friday 27 November 2015

Def Leppard's Concert at Suntec CIty Convention Centre


Venue: Suntec City Convention Centre, Level 6, Hall 601-604
Date: 24 November 2015 (Tuesday)
Time: 8.00pm - 10.00pm
Tickets price: SGD$108.00,  SGD$128.00,  SGD$148.00 and SGD$168.00



Being a fan of Def Leppard's songs, I wondered for more than a decade why they did not come to Singapore to perform at all, since year 1996.  I was still in elementary / primary school back then, and have not heard of them.




I fell in love with them when I was in high / secondary school, hearing their "Love Bites" on Class 95 FM and then 98.7 FM radio stations.  I loved the song so much because it was so melancholy and haunting, evoking weird feelings in me. So I called into the latter radio station (in the past you could do that, and sometimes the DJs would pick up and chat with you, if they were nice enough) - and asked the male DJ what the song was.  He recited the name to me, which I'd thought was "Deaf Leopard", but a visit to the music store (we did not have much use for the Internet back then) yielded me the right spelling, and I bought a few of their CDs.





It was then I began to fall in love with them and their songs more and more, even though they are a band way beyond my era.  I listened to their songs fervently, and finally in 2015 they returned! The Beau and I bought tickets for the Standing Pen, since I have never been to a concert and had to stand before - he said I would be closer to the rock hand.





The day came and the turnout was not bad - more foreigners.  Anyway the band came only at 8.30pm, but belted out many of their popular hits including my favorite "Love Bites", then "When Love and Hate Collide", "Pour Some Sugar on Me', etc. The concert-goers were all enjoying themselves and rocking to the music, singing along with the band as well.



I was a little disappointed that they did not perform 3 other favorite songs of mine, namely "Too Late for Love"  and  "Foolin' ". Also, their conclusion was very abrupt - they just performed till around 10.00pm and then suddenly paused while fans shouted that they wanted more, and then the band said goodbye and walked away. But oh well, we can't have everything, riight? They sounded better in person, and I had fun.   



Many of them were holding up their phones to record the band's performance blatantly, and I was surprised that the Suntec City Management did not control the recordings. Isn't it an infringement of copyright? Anyway it was a little annoying because their lifted arms were blocking those behind. Mind you, I only started to take some photos when I saw practically everyone was using thier phones to video the performance. 

Overall, I enjoyed the concert and was happy to finally meet Def Leppard in person. They promised to be back more often - well, let's see.

You might also be interested to read about Air Supply's Concert in March 2015 by clicking here.













No comments:

Post a Comment