NN Header

Wednesday 4 June 2014

[Invite] Dinner at The Lawn Cafe


When I was invited to come "meat my greens" and tossed the quote by my favorite poet Oscar Wilde, "I can resist anything except temptation", I just knew I had to visit The Lawn Cafe.  Thank you, Jonathan, for the honor, and Wan Tin for the immaculate hosting, so herein I pen my objective piece about my dining experience at The Lawn Cafe.



Have you ever been torn between the dilemma of wanting to stay healthy with eating greens, yet your teeth yearns to sink into some juicy pieces of freshly-grilled meat? Well, The Lawn Cafe - the only specialty grill and salad cafe / bar in Singapore that allows one to customize their salad and selects grilled meat to accentuate - allows you to literally have your cake and eat it too. 


The Lawn Cafe has two outlets - Biopolis (31 Biopolis Way #01-07, Nanos, Singapore 138669 / Tel: 6478 9739) and Shenton Way (8 Shenton Way B1-11, AXA Tower, Singapore 068811 / Tel: 6534 8749) - I chose the one located at the latter venue since I work in the vicinity. 


A brightly-lit cafe with contemporary, sleek interior exuding simple elegance, the touch of greens on the grounds makes one feel as though Nature and us belong as one, creating a tranquil setting. It was akin to dining on a lawn literally.


Diners select their choice of greens, meat, toppings and home-made dressings on this order form. Wan Tin very kindly informed that their chefs were preparing the specialties for the Beau and I, so we only had to choose our toppings - carrots, Parmesan cheese, grapes, cashews and olives.


This plate consists of Char-grilled Cajun Chicken and Char-grilled Prawns with garlic. The chicken was not exactly tender to a perfect T, but I really appreciated the absence of any fatty meats or skin at all. As Cajun goes, the flavor is more on the sapid side, a tad too salty for my liking, but I couldn't deny that the taste was simply awesome. 

As for the prawns, they were fresh and juicy despite having being subjected to high level of heat, and the hints of smoky flavors complemented the succulent sweetness of the prawns.


This plate carries proudly its load of Butter-seared Pacific Dory with parsley rub, and Ben's Beef Rub.

I've tried dory many times before, and looking at the charred exterior, I had expected the texture to be somewhat rough / hard. However, the first bite left me widening my eyes in surprise literally - this dory melted in my mouth! Into a puddle of deliciousness, of course.

The beef chunks were well-marinated, succulent and crunchy at the same time - how did two different textures coexist together in the same piece of meat was something that baffled us - and is something that everyone should get to try for themselves to get what I mean.


This is the array of home-made dressings, all original and cooked with utmost efforts - (from top row) Wasahoney, Red Island, Maple Peanut, Me so Spicy, Honeyball, Wafu and Manly Mango. I loved all the exotic flavors, especially Me so Spicy and Manly Mango.


The main highlight of the night was the greens - the Salad Bowl, consisting of various types of very fresh, crispy greens and adorned by my 5 chosen toppings. We tossed some meat in, spreaded some dressing on them, and dug in happily.


Last but not least, the culprit that made the Beau so full because he could not stop eating - the Olive Rice. Yes, one may choose this in lieu of salads, to eat with their grilled meats. Cooked with their secret recipe (of course), the Olive Rice was very scrumptious, with a crispy, sticky texture that the palate agrees with totally.


A walk around the cafe reaped an interesting discovery of these fruits, fish and vegetables plush toys placed all around the cafe, making for decor that exude youth and adorable-ness.

Besides serving salads, olive rice and grilled meats, The Lawn Cafe also serves home-made soups. They also cater to celebratory or corporate events, as well as offer delivery island-wide. Do check out their website here to start placing orders for salads sent right to you, fresh (please order about 2 hours in advance).

It was a wonderful dining experience complete with warm hospitality, guilt-free great food and a serene ambience.

No comments:

Post a Comment