NN Header

Sunday 23 March 2014

Top 15 Haunts in Singapore


Although people always get the idea that I am seldom at home, I beg to differ. I do enjoy being a homebody in the comfort of my own sanctuary - reading a good book over a glass of wine, listening to music while nibbling on fruits + cheese, or taking a dip as and when.

Well, other than staying home, staycation, shopping, eating, drinking, spa and watching movies, I would love to share my Top 15 Haunts in Singapore. There's plenty to do, whether one wishes to try something new or just seek solace. Here goes:-

1. MARINA BAY SANDS (AND ITS SURROUNDINGS)


Yes, this is none other than Marina Bay Sands itself, stretching all the way to Gardens by the Bay. I love this place with its beauty, and the elegant solace it provides me with. Whether I am inside MBS itself watching the fountain and gondolas passing along the canal, or strolling beneath the "Super Trees" in Gardens by the Bay, I am soothed. I can sit and think and write and generate inspirations here, always. Of course, the good food and chillout places are a bonus.

2. TURF CLUB AND TURF CITY


Yes, I am referring to the old Turf Club, now The Grandstands (Bukit Timah) and the new Turf City (Woodlands). No, I am not a gambler and am not here for riding lessons.

Besides being way out of city, these are two rather secluded spots with an undisturbed air of vibrance that I enjoy hanging out at. Besides the luxury of food and drinks, I like these venues for my thinking spots too, and I rarely need to risk the intrusion of people who know me, when I seek solace in these two places.

3. THE GOLF RANGE

Well, yes, I play and practise ever since my very first visit. I want to get a handicap so that I can move on to course. While this is not extrenuous sports, and was considered a "rich man's sport" in the past, I do find that this simple little game trains one's patience and focus, and it is relaxing. That is one of the so-called sports I do besides my beloved Yoga.

4. THE RIVER AND THE QUAY


I love the entire stretch of river, from Boat Quay to Clarke Quay to Robertson Quay (the former Mohamad Sultan stretch). I've loved it since young, not just for the clubs or restaurants of course. The rivers are always tranquil spots for those who think alot, and need to sort things out alone. The benches or cafes here have always provided me thinking and reflection spots; it feels rather soothing staring at the expanse of flowing water, whether the rivers are low or high in volume.

Of course, I also enjoy the museums and theaters such as Esplanade and Victoria which are situated along the edge of Boat Quay, for the performances. This place was an ideal people-watching grounds, and still is.

5. BUKIT TIMAH AREA


The stretch of Bukit Timah Road beginning from Cluny Court all the way to Upper Bukit Timah Road (near the nature reserves / hill) holds nostalgic memories for  me, probably because my high school was situated along this stretch. While I am not so much of a hill-billy, I don't mind trekking up Bukit Timah hill. The entire stretch of buildings - Serene Centre, Coronation Plaza, King Albert's Park, Beauty World, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre and Bukit Timah Plaza etc all bring back fond memories. I still go there to haunt theSE old hangouts, taking note of how much changes there have been over the decades.

Yes, another stretch of decrepit but history-rich buildings in quaint settings away from town. The good food and chillout places are again, bonuses.

6. HORT PARK

Besides offering a very secluded spot for hiding away from the stress of life and basking in the beauty that Mother Nature has to offer, Vineyard (the restaurant at Hort Park) has a reflective pool that is ideal for picturesque settings anytime. Whether one is seeking inspiration or to create a perfect piece of art, you found your answer.

7. PARKWAY PARADE / KATONG

Besides the charm of having the seaside within reach, Parkway Parade and Katong I12 areas are also the playgrounds of the rich. I love the serenity this stretch offers me, and sometimes wander back to Mandarin Gardens and Neptune Court to revive some old memories as well. The availability of good restaurants, cafes and lounges here are yet again, additional perks.

8. CHANGI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Yes, the local airport - it is one of the best in the world, clean, and quiet. Since young, I used to come here to study. Even now, I still come here a lot to chill, read a book, write, think, and watch planes. So many old memories are esconced here - travels, encounters with pilots and crews, and lost dreams.

9. SENTOSA / VIVOCITY



Yes, another place with seaviews and another "world" away from the city itself. If I don't get to cross over to Sentosa, I enjoy a good view from Vivocity and seabreezes while I put on my thinking cap and work on my stuffs, let my thoughts declutter and enjoy a good coffee or drink. Shopping is secondary.

If I cross over to Sentosa, the seas, and other attractions take over the tasks of soothing me, making me happy. I also like Universal Studios - been there twice and counting. This is a place I can totally let my hair down and relax as though I am a tourist in my own country. Perhaps I am.

10. GARDENASIA / NYEE PHOE FLOWER GARDEN


Situated amongst the very "ulu" and hard to access Neo Tiew Crescent, this is an enchanting place with lovely farmstay villas and a beautific garden area for photography, relaxation and dining purposes. This is a charming little world all on its own, a hidden gem hidden away in the west part of Singapore. Whether one looks at its charming settings made magical with water vapour, or allow themselves to be mesmerized by the lit-up trees (they placed a light into the hollow trunks so the trees glow literally) - this is a lovely spot to lose oneself in.

11. BOTANICAL GARDENS


Another nature reserve that requires no fee, yet provides the richness of nature to all. It is a solidary respite, a haven for those who wish to take long strolls, mediate in silence or simply sit down and think or don't think at all. The mind can be at peace in such a setting. Better yet, a very exquisite restaurant lies herein, poised and looking every bit as romantic as magazine pages would feature it to be.

12. THE WATERS


I wouldnt have mixed these two under one grouping, but I have no choice. I did not realize that I would have so many exotic hangouts, so I guess "water bodies" belong to one category together.

Punggol Marina - a picturesque expanse of waters and gorgeous ferry / ships, like a pier on its own. The lapping waters soothe, and paired with the charming setting the entire atmosphere is simply halcyon.

Bedok Reservoir - no, I love reservoirs in all and I do not come here to take a leap or seek spirits. I tried dragon-boating once, and kind of fell in love with the "row, row, row your boat" experience. It was great fun, this exercise! And the splash of water was thrilling too, surprisingly.

13. SINGAPORE SWIMMING CLUB

This has become a rather recent addition, to accompany a friend. It is great fun to swim here, practice swimming (hone my skills) and afterwards, go for a bite at the bistro / cafe here. I love the waters lately, instead of fearing it. I would love to overcome my hydrophobia eventually.

14. BEAULIEU HOUSE / SEMBAWANG PARK


This has also become another newly discovered haunt. I love the dining-by-the-sea concept, as well as the black-white house with its olden romantic charm. I love the seabreezes and the views. I also like how this place is not easily accessible to all, another haven for the privacy seekers. There is a heartwarming touch to this place, especially when one sees the families pitching tents to camp here, and frolicking happily in the waters. I could stare out at the sea for hours, letting the laughter of other beach-goers play like music to my ears.

15. ARTEASTIQ

It is an art studio / gallery beside its cafe at Mandarin Gallery. I enjoy spending 2-3 hours painting here, whether with friends or alone. Painting keeps my mind off things, yet I am able to "see" clearer after the entire sessions. Also, it allows me to express myself in a different way that Karaoke, retail therapy, sports etc does for me.

That's it, all 15 of my very favorite haunts around the island unraveled. Singapore is really not as boring as some claim - there are places to go and people to see. One merely needs to give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment