NN Header

Friday 28 February 2014

Porridge Buffet (Dinner) at Quality Hotel Marlow


Having been to the Quality Hotel Marlow's Porridge Buffet at least twice for dinner and once for supper, I gathered *Edwin and *Gerald here for our gathering again. This time, I decided I have to write about it. Quality Cafe is located at 201 Balestier Road, Level One, Quality Hotel Marlow, Singapore 329926 , the number to dial is 6233 6363.



I was never a porridge fan, hence the raves about this Taiwanese porridge buffet did  not entice me at all, even though I resided just a stone's throw away from where I stay. The first time I went there was with my family - and to my surprise, the spread was impressive and the sweet potato porridge was extremely smooth.

Over these couple years, I returned to enjoy the sumptuous comfort food, even converting *Gerald who was definitely not a porridge fan as well.




As one coule see, Quality Cafe itself is simply furnished, in light, laid-back colors giving a very "clean" and homely feel. There are several stations offering meat, little dishes to go along with porridge, two selections of porridge, a Laksa station and dessert counters.



This is the Laksa counter, where the friendly Chef is on stanby, ready to pour piping hot, tasty laksa soup into the prior-prepared bowls of noodles whenever a diner stands in fron of this counter. Look at the steamy hot Laksa - spicy and rich in flavor, and the Laksa is filled with lovely ingredients such as dried tofu sponge (taupok), quail eggs, beansprout and cockles. 




Now, this is where the two large pots of porridge are - usually they would have a pot of plain porridge and a flavored one. Tonight, in lieu of sweet potato porridge, they served a very delicious peanut and cuttlefish porridge - light, and flavorful. From the the array of cheese, preserved vegetable dishes, salted eggs, shallots etc, I decorated my porridge with a little dash of this and that, adding on to the flavor.




Moving on, the colorful Desserts section - one could either enjoy hot desserts such as Red Bean Soup or cold desserts such as ice-creams. If not, one could choose to get creative and create your own Chendol or Ice Kacang.




Next, here is another Desserts section to attack- assortment of healthy fruits, warm Bread Pudding or brightly-colored Kuehs (Asian Sticky Cakes). As I was full, some honeydew and water-melon slices suited me just fine.






Lidded metal capsules concealed a lot of other savoury goodies, fret not. Let's see what else did I feast on here. There you go - check out the sumptuous spread of fried fish, fresh shrimps, tantalizing Chilli Crab, delicious Chicken Curry, and a variety of braised items - eggs, duck meat, chicken feet and dried tofu sponge (taupok). 

I was a little disappointed that they no longer served squids like they used to - I loved the succulent, chewy delicacies here. But nonetheless, these items were good enough for me. 



Finally, the counter beside the Laksa counter actually serves Popiah (steamed spring rolls), also prepared by a standby Chef. The vegetables within were crisp and refreshing, and the shrimp paste was a burst of deliciousness. The skin was soft and gently melting upon entering the mouth.

Each of us spent merely SGD$25.00 on this scrumptious and fulfilling dinner, in a gentle ambience with low noise level suitable for catching up and a little business ideas generating. This was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment