NN Header

Sunday 13 May 2018

Review on St. Petersburg Swan Lake Ballet @ Mediacorp MES Theatre


1 Stars Avenue Level 1, Mediacorp Campus, Singapore 138507
Tel: 6333 3888
Period: 8 May to 13 May 2018
Duration: 2.5 hours with 2 intermissions
Ticket Pricing: $175 / $145 / $115 / $75



I was excited when Swan Lake was returning to Singapore, and had been torn between the performance by ABC Troupe (American) or St. Petersburg (Russian). In the end I decided to go for the latter, since the origins of Swan Lake seems to come from Russia, dated back to the year 1875.



The much-anticipated ballet performance was held at MES Theatre at Mediacorp Campus; it was also the first time I attended a performance there. Service crew was polite but I didn't like that the seats were so cramped - minimum leg space and I was so close to the people sitting beside me I could smell their odours!




What to expect from Swan Lake performance itself? A tragically romantic story by Tchaikovsky's - of sorcery, beauty and gorgeous settings (mainly the haunting lakeside and stunning palace). It involves Prince Siegfried's love story with beautiful Swan Princess Odette, and his infidelity with Odile - daughter of evil sorcerer Baron van Rothbart. Prima ballerina Irina Kolesnikova herself took center stage, mesmerizing the audience with her ethereal moves.



Music was fabulous and the ballet dance moves were of course, graceful and fascinating to look at. Coordination was good, and costumes were gorgeous as well.

Overall, I enjoyed the Swan Lake performance and it was certainly a great start of the weekend for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment