NN Header

Friday 7 November 2014

Tea at Maple Loft Cafe @ Tanjong Pagar Community Club


101 Cantonment Road, Level 1, Tanjong Pagar Community Centre, Singapore 089774


The other day, was lunching with *Sidney who had an appointment in the Cantonment vicinity. Hence, I decided to visit Maple Loft Cafe located within Tanjong Pagar Community Centre itself (enter via Pinnacle @ Duxton).


It is a neat little cafe known for its ice-cream buffet - not hard to locate since there aren't much restaurants or cafes in the community centre itself.


What struck me when we stepped in was the interesting concept of this quaint little cafe.  Encirciling the tables and couches were rows of my favorite childhood memories - biscuits in metal tins, chips, sweets etc, all vintage and reminsces of things I enjoyed as a kid.


The service crew was friendly, and made us feel right at home in this retro setting overlooking a lovely space of greens / nature outside the glass walls.



We settled right into the dim, cosy cafe and looked through the menu, which was rather limited - it would  be nice if they at least served some savoury light bites like fries, nuggets, sandwiches etc.


I was tempted to grab some of those childhood snacks but decided against it. I would definitely be back for those biscuits though - most of them are no longer found outside, not even supermarts anymore.


The cafe also has a retail display of mugs and ornaments for sale. It looked like a preserved mama-shop or past shophouse store preserved through the course of time.


The ice-cream flavors looked interesting,  and I debated between the various choices as I placed my order. Should I have the fig and honey or rum and raisin hmmm?


I wanted the Hazelnut Latte but they ran out of hazelnut hence I took the reommendation of Almond Latte (SGD$5.40). Expecting latte to taste weird with the strong almond flavor, I was surprised that it blended smoothly and the latte was delicious.


*Sidney had the Ice Lemon Tea (SGD$2.20) which he suspected might be homemade, a refreshing nice touch on a hot, stuffy day.



I had a Waffle with Peach and Rum Raisin Ice Cream (SGD$8.90)- I also added strawberries. The ice-cream was nice - creamy and flavorful. The waffle was pretty all right - crispy around the edges and fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth on the grid areas.  The fruit servings were generous and satisfying, hence making this a delectable dessert. It tasted as good as it looked.


No comments:

Post a Comment