NN Header

Saturday 19 July 2014

Brunch at Drury Lane Cafe @ Tanjong Pagar


94 Tanjong Pagar Road, Singapore 088515
Tel: 6222 6698



 Located along a row of shophouses at Tanjong Pagar, this red-doored gem was a lovely discovery.  Looking kind of tacky and casual on the outside, the interior with its neat, warmly-hued sleekness was a delightful contrast - tiled floors, smooth wooden tables, the whole picture of a hipster cafe.


I was immediately drawn to the desserts / pastries counter, in the midst of scouring for the perfect seat, since I was early. There were Carrot Cakes, Nutella Tarts, Salted Caramel Tarts, etc, all looking so tempting.


Then the friendly crew informed me that there were more seats upstairs, so I ascended this flight of polished, sturdy wooden steps up to check it out.


Needless to say, I liked what I saw very much - a vast space filled with well-spaced tables and interesting crated seats. For the romantic at heart, who love the "Dining-by-the-windows" or verandah concept, this table may be just what you are looking for (barring bad weather!)


We settled for the huge orange couch so we could totally kick back our heels and relax over brunch. The couch was a little low though, so *Katherine was afraid we'd have to bend over while eating. True that.


So we moved to one of the tables in this vast hall, gleaming with natural sunlight and lovely jar-covered lamps overhead.


We took a short moment to pore over the menu before heading downstairs to place our orders.


I had a drink named "Brown", which was actually Mocha (SGD5.50) - espresso with milk and chocolate, a change from my usual Cuppaccino. The coffee was aromatic, flavor complemented by chocolate's roasty sweetness.


*Katherine had a "White", which was essentially an iced Latte (SGD$4.50) - a lovely milky coffee to that was smooth.


We were first served our Salted Caramel Tart (SGD4.00). While the puff pastry shell was a rim of delicious fluffy crispiness - the gooey, watery centre that was the salted caramel was almost too liquid. We had expected the ganache to be hardened or creamy, but it flowed out too luxuriantly once the fork pierced into it.


*Katherine had the Bacon Baked Eggs (SGD$12.00) for her main - honey cured turkey bacon, mushrooms, homemade baked beans and cheese all tossed into a pot with eggs to bake and served with toast. While the flavor was rich and this made for a homely, nutritious dish, it was like casserole to me, something that we could easily made at home (but probably wouldnt taste as nice).


My Cloud 9 (SGD$10.00) - consisted of fluffy turkey bacon infused pancakes served with honey and butter. I appreciated that my choice was a fabulous one - because the lightly sweet pancakes were baked to a golden crispiness, and the strips of bacon atop were crispy exactly the way I love them.


Better yet, I did not even need to pour or dip any honey / butter for my pancakes, because as promised, there were bits of bacon infused within my pancakes. This sweet and savoury combination was a palatable match made in culinary heaven. Even *Katherine agreed with me.

It was a lovely place for a lovely brunch, and I would like to return for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment