NN Header

Tuesday 3 June 2014

Styling the Crowning Glory

Be thankful for hair - yes, I mean, be very thankful for hair at all times. Take good care of your hair and be especially if it is not dropping, falling, balding or infested with cooties.

I go for treatments at hair salons and at home pretty regularly, just to maintain the head of crowning glory, because hair is an important part of us. I change my parting pretty often, so that hair would not start to bald from the permanent hairline. Over the years, I do have different hairstyles and hairdos, which I am going to share here, and my thoughts on sporting the various hairstyles / lengths.


The Pixie Hairdo

This was one of the bolder moves during my younger days, having been accustomed to the usual straight-cut short hair or long hair. I went to chop off my tresses just so I could have a similar hairdo as Zoe Tay in The Unbeatables back then - errrrr, smart move, eh? No, it did not look flattering or cool on me at all, though I must say it did make washing of hair a lot more easier.


Short Hair / Colored Hair



There were also the hairdo in wine shades, auburn shades, hazelnut shades etc, but never blond! I feel that unless you have very, very cut-glass sharp features, blond hair looks very weird on Chinese. When I got sick of my long hair, or when the long hair got too dry, I used to just chop them off into a bob or straight-cut chin-length hairdo. Hair dried alot faster at night, of course.


Neck / Shoulder Length Hair

These days, I am no longer so adventurous when it comes to hair, so when I cut off my long hair to look younger or to promote healthier regrowth, I stick with neck or shoulder length, with reliable hairstylists. This length leaves hair lighter, and I look younger too.


Long Hair / Rebonded Hair



Usually, my hair remains in its comfort zone - long, wavy or long, straight (rebonded). The fringe is long too, or I might layer my hair into a "V" to give it some volume. Colors come and go, though I have learned to appreciate the sleek, glossy black hair look these days. It makes me appear fairer.


Using clips or braids




During bad hair days, or days when I feel that the long tresses are too heavy, I use the signature Ferragamo hairclips to fasten half the hair back, or braid it. Sometimes I do the high ponytail - it flattered my face shape because a tight ponytail had a lifting effect, believe it or not.


Bun 



During formal presentations or extreme bad hair days, I bun up the hair or twist them up behind and secure with U-pins or large barettes. So far I have yet to master the skills of using a chopstick-like accessory to fasten the hair into a bun, but I rather like the bunned-up look once in a while; it could look elegant. I tried the hair net once or twice, but felt it made me look too old (duh).


Curls

For functions or special occasions, I would go for curls, usually spiral or big waves ones. They make me look more sophisticated. Friends and colleagues ask me to perm my hair but I don't think so. I did it a couple of times before, but the maintenance is time-consuming  and exhausting. I do like how the curls look on me though, if I don't have to keep twirling it to keep the circles in place.


Bangs

Finally, the most recent look was to chop off the fringe and sport Bangs, a la Cleopatra or "doll". I have seen many friends who look rather dramatically different after they chop off the bangs, and I often wondered how I would look with soft bangs. So I finally plucked up the courage and did the bangs - well, this look did make me look younger, and my eyes bigger. I kind of like it, but it is not a look I am very comfortable with, hence now I have let the fringe grow out and I have a side fringe - another look that I like.

Hence here ends my hair journey. Let's see when I would try out something daring or drastically different again (if ever). Hair has the ability to change one's looks entirely, but one has to feel comfortable with the hairstyle that they choose to go with, in order to carry it off well.

No comments:

Post a Comment