NN Header

Monday 25 November 2013

Dinner at Lawrys

The elegant, much raved-about Lawrys, known for its prime ribs, used to be situated at Paragon Orchard. I heard about it for a long time, but it was always deemed a very pricey place, especially when I was still a student.

This fanciful restaurant has since moved to 333A Orchard Road #04-01 / 31 Mandarin Gallery, Singapore 238897. The number to call for reservations or enquiries is 6836 3333.

My friend and I decided to try it out on my birthday one year, after yearning to go for so long.




The elegant interior with appropriately lighting, plush high-back seats  and racks of wine. The uniformed waitresses and waiters were all polite in their greetings, and we were seated at our reserved table shortly upon arriving.

I had expected the interior to be more formidable, with everyone talking in hushed tones and the diners all dressed up. To my surprise, the ambience was rather family-style, and everyone looked comfortable and happy.

We placed our orders and awaited our meals to be served.



They let us have a bread basket of brown and white wheat breads, along with butter carved into pretty shapes. We hungrily dug in.

I also had a glass of red wine to go along with my steak, and my friend ordered a strawberry milkshake made using Haagen-Dazs ice-cream.



We had the Chef who came to our table to prepare the salad. She literally mixed and tossed it in front of us, in that large metal bowl. When she finally placed the salad on our table, we were pleasantly surprised at how fresh and delicious it was. This is what they call the Famous Original Spinning Bowl Salad, consisting of Crisp romaine and iceberg lettuce, watercress, shredded beets, chopped eggs and croutons, tossed with our exclusive Lawry's vintage dressing on a bed of ice


Our traditional lump crab cakes came next. They were tasty and one could really taste the crab in them instead of all-flour-and-no-crab. It was tender and springy to chew, truly a delicacy.




Now, the photo on top is my Lawrys Cut - their traditional and most popular cut for steaks. I chose medium-rare, my usual. The meat was very tender and easy to cut. The taste was good, with hints of my red wine sauce enhancing the flavors of the beef and the flavors were bursting in my mouth ... hmm yummy. The dish came with Idaho mashed potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding, and Whipped Cream Horseradish.

My friend had the US Korobuta Baby Back Ribs - juicy and scrumptious in BBQ sauce and comes with a side of fries.


We finished off the meal with Bread Pudding for dessert, and it was again, freshly prepared at the table itself.

Overall, we were very pleased with the whole dining experience at Lawrys, and the meal was simply divine. Both of us spent around SGD$180.00 for everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment